Lontar Palm Sugar
Our 100% pure palm sugar is produced from the sap of the lontar palm, which is grown locally and collected by the people of Muntigunung.
Lontar palm sugar is a nutrient-rich, low-glycaemic crystalline sweetener that looks, tastes, and dissolves almost exactly like sugar, yet it is completely natural and unrefined.
Processed by hand in our development centre, it is cooked and air dried to form a crystalline sugar that is rich in key vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, including potassium, zinc, iron, and vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B6, and has the lowest calorie content of all natural sugars, making it a perfect option for people with diabetes and a healthy alternative sweetener.
Palm sugar is unrefined and so it retains its vitamins and mineral content contributing to your daily nutritional requirements. Most palm sugars contain potassium, nitrogen, phosphorous, iron and zinc. These minerals boost brain function and bolster the immune system.
Low GI: Unlike highly refined cane sugar, our palm sugar is a slow sugar that takes time to grow, harvest and dry. It also takes time for its complex carbohydrates to be digested which is why it has a lower GI
Boosts Energy Levels: It takes very little time for palm sugar to be broken down and absorbed by the body. In fact, this digestive process begins as soon as the sugar enters your mouth
By mixing a few teaspoons of palm sugar in your morning glass of fresh fruit juice, tea or coffee giving you a much needed energy boost and healthy start to your day!
Promotes Musculoskeletal Health: Palm sugar contains a modest amount of potassium which is an essential mineral that plays a vital role in the health and maintenance of bone and muscle tissue.
1 teaspoon of palm sugar provides 1 per cent of a person’s daily requirement for potassium, therefore by substituting regular sugar for palm sugar in your tea and other daily beverages, you would be able to meet between 5-10 per cent of your potassium requirements.
Palm Sugar Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS): Oral rehydration solutions are used to maintain the electrolyte balance within the cells of our body. To make an oral rehydration solution with palm sugar, mix 6 teaspoons of this sugar and ½ teaspoon of salt in one liter of lukewarm water.
MUNTIGUNUNG PALM SUGAR PRODUCTS
|Alufoil PackWeight : 200g, 500g, 1kgPrice: contact us
Lontar Gift Box
Weight : 200 g
Price: contact us
|Black Window OvalWeight : 150g & 250gPrice: contact us
Weight : 75 g
Price: contact us
Palm Sugar Recipes
Palm Sugar Balls:
500g sticky/sweet (glutinous) rice flour
1 ½ cups of fresh coconut milk
½ cup palm sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Cut the block of palm sugar into small cubes so that each piece is approximately ½ inch by ½ inch. Set aside.
- Pour the fresh coconut milk into a large bowl and whisk it thoroughly until it starts to thicken and then set it aside.
- Strain the rice flour using a sieve to make sure that there are no lumps in the flour.
- Add the whisked coconut milk to the rice flour along with the cardamom powder and mix it thoroughly to form a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into a non-stick saucepan and cook it on low flame until it thickens and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Take it off the stove and let it cool until the dough is very warm but not hot. Knead the dough thoroughly.
- Take a small portion of the dough and use it to envelop a cube of the palm sugar. Roll the dough between the palms of your hands so that it becomes a smooth ball and keep it aside. Repeat this with the remaining cubes of sugar.
- Heat water in a large pan until it starts to boil and then place the cubes into the boiling water one at a time. Allow them to cook for at least 5-7 minutes before taking them out of the water and placing them on kitchen towels or a clean cloth to soak up the excess water.
- Roll each ball in the desiccated coconut and serve them warm & Enjoy!